“You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.”
In 2017 we want to ensure a strong voice for the power of equality to change the lives of everyone for the better. Our Feminist Action Network links campaigners around the world with activists here in Britain to do just that. Here are five ways in the coming weeks you can be part of this:
- With Republicans in America pledged to cut their funding, please join us on Thursday 19th January holding a fundraiser for Planned Parenthood in Central London. Planned parenthood provides basic healthcare to 59% of all women in America. Speakers include Jess Philips MP, Jane Garvey and Ayesha Hazarika.
- March with us on Saturday 21st January at 12pm in Grosvenor Square in London outside the American Embassy as part of an international day of action following the inauguration of President Donald Trump to honour champions of human rights.
- Ask your MP to vote for New Clause 1 of the Children and Social Work Bill to make sure consent is on the national curriculum for all schoolchildren in England– this is our last opportunity to get this into legislation. Show your support on social media too by sharing this article or using the tag #NC1SRE
- Share the story of the Yazidi women and call for restoration of dedicated support services for these survivors of ISIS’s sexual slavery. You can find out more here.
- 60% of garment workers in India and Bangladesh have experienced harassment or abuse – ask your favourite retailer on social media to read the Fairwear Foundation report and what action they are taking in response.
Please do feel free to share this list and encourage others to join the #FAN2017 so that together we can speak up for causes and campaigns around the world and take action to make a positive difference.